January 28, 2009
Now I'm not a big fan of President Bush, but honestly, I did try and support him during his terms. During his first term, I was in high school, I was young, and I wasn't too aware of what issues were important to me. When 9/11 happened, I did support the idea of going to war against terrorism, specifically Al Quada and Osama Bin Laden. But that search lasted only months. Bush diverted his attention to Saddam and "weapons of mass destruction." Again, I supported it at first. But to find out later on that there were no weapons to be found and yet 'we' (I use this loosely) still continued on our take over of Iraq, I knew I was deceived. To wage war on a country under false pretenses.. I can't even put into words.
War is a delicate issue. I know many conservatives are loathing the idea that we are retracting our troops from Iraq. 'Our mission' is supposedly not done there. We need to help Iraq set up a democracy and help rebuild that nation is the basis of why we should stay. I agree with that to an extent. But I don't see myself supporting a war who's original motives were completely irrelevant to what our nation stands for. Who are we to march into a foreign land, kill their leader, and set up government, in the name of democracy? in the name of counter-terrorism?
I know my history relatively well. I know that the people before us gave their lives so that we can reap the fruits of freedom. If we still had the military draft, I'm not sure what I would do. Would I be brave enough to dawn a uniform? I don't know. But the war we are currently fighting in Iraq eerily resembles the Vietnam War. We as a nation went out to support South Vietnam against the communist North. It's the same war, just different players. We were invading and taking advantage of a non-democratic third world country. Then and now.
We are the most powerful, most feared nation in the world. We were lead by an idiot, who did not care about anyone else's safety, but who only cared about his own personal ambitions. Example: the victims of hurricane Katrina. Bush did not give a shit. Fact.
I understand that it is difficult for a person to admit they were wrong, especially one who has the responsibilities as Bush. But I'm angry at him for deceiving us, his citizens, the people he was suppose to lead. But we did survive his administration. We may have been ridiculed by other nations during the time, but in the end we are still one. That is saying a lot.
There is, obviously and I suppose deservingly, a lot of propaganda surrounding President Obama. And I am all for it. Shirts, buttons, hats, towels, or whatever are being sold with his image on it. Hope. Change. Those are the words that embodied his campaign. Because he is our President, I will support him. I put all my faith into him and with any decision he decides for this nation. I'm excited to see how everything is one year from now. How much progress we have made as a nation and as a world leader. I'm hoping our economy picks up and our troops are back home safely.
God Bless America.