February 2, 2008

Valhalla If You Hear Me


My school schedule this quarter is very chill. Very. Yet I feel exhausted. I have a job at a pharmacy in Irvine and an internship at a Newport hospital. I get paid crap. It's my last year of college and I just want to enjoy it, but i don't have the funds if not the time to rock out. I want to go to Vegas. I want to go snowboarding for once. I want to travel. To Europe, to the east coast, to whereever. I took these jobs so I can build up my resume, but even then, I don't feel like my future is related to what I am doing.

I went to my second career fair this past week. Out of the hundreds of companies that showed face, only four Bio companies showed up! Four! Three of them were related to marketing, selling hospital supplies, and one was a lab job. Wtf? I don't want to do that crap. I hate the idea that in order to make a comfortable living with a bio degree, you have to go to grad school if not Med school. I'm capable of doing so, but I don't want to. The other bio majors at school all seem like they had their futures planned out since grade school: Go to a university study bio, go to med school, become a pediatrician. Ummm ok? I know it would be ideal to follow suit, but my heart tells me otherwise.

I'm just not interested in being a doctor, a pharmacist, a nurse. But then again, why did I become a bio major in the first place. I'm no longer interested in anything that is related to it. I must have just figured that I couldn't make a living graduating with an art degree just because I'd be stuck not knowing what I'll be doing after college... Ironic. But then again, I wouldn't want to know what I'll be doing a year from now. Just not me. I freelance. Must be the inner artist in me. I get these weird thoughts in my head. Join the Army, the Peace Corps, buy a lotto ticket. ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Newest idea: work for the Food and Drug Admin and move (according to the FDA website, their higher paying jobs are located at their headquarters... in D.C.). Go figure. But hey, sounds cool so far. I get a career in something that somewhat interests me, public health, and go to the east coast. Sounds money. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The plan: Take the road, and follow wherever it may lead. That's the motto and I'm sticking to my guns.
-----------------------------------------------------
- the freelancer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment